COVID-19 is taking a steaming dump on our entertainment options

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fmovies%2F2020%2F3%2F12%2F21176665%2Fcoronavirus-tom-hanks-rita-wilson-covid-19-hollywood-fallout

Getty Images

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2020/3/12/21176665/coronavirus-tom-hanks-rita-wilson-covid-19-hollywood-fallout

Freddy Ortiz, News Editor

The rampancy of COVID-19 has left Earth in a state of limbo as modern society anxiously awaits resolution. Schools have taken to online learning, busy city streets are empty, and politicians plead with their rambunctious citizenry to stay indoors. It’s a scary time to be alive and, frankly, it’s boring. What’s to do when exposed to another living soul could threaten your life? While staying occupied is vital in staving off a bad case of cabin fever, the entertainment industry is our savior–still, even major studios and platforms aren’t immune to our global standstill.

A slew of movies and television shows have been postponed with the arrival of our virus dearest. On March 24, Warner Bros. announced that it would delay the release of Wonder Woman 1984 from June 5 to August 14. Additionally, the films In the Heights (a musical), Scoob (a Scooby-Doo animated film), and Malignant (a thriller by Aquaman direct James Wan) have all been pulled from the studio’s release schedule.

Even the mouse house has fallen ill to the ripples of COVID-19! On March 12, Disney confirmed three of its biggest releases of the year–Mulan, The New Mutants, and Antlers (originally slated for March 27, April 3, and April 17 respectively)–would be postponed out of growing concerns over moviegoer health. Currently, the studio hasn’t set a new release date. Furthermore, on March 17, Disney postponed three additional films: Black Widow, The Personal History of David Copperfield, and The Woman in the Window (All releases originally planned for May 1, May 8, and May 15 respectively). These delays followed shortly after a wave of theater shutdowns in multiple states as well as the country-wide closing of Regal and AMC theaters.

Other films such as the latest James Bond movie No Time To Die, Peter Rabbit 2, the highly anticipated A Quiet Place Part II, and Fast 9 were postponed a few months, till next year, or indefinitely.

Similarly, a litany of TV shows have delayed or suspended production including Apple’s The Morning Show and Little America; Netflix shows including Russian Doll; CW’s Riverdale; NBC’s Chicago dramas and The Kelly Clarkson Show; CBS shows such as the NCIS dramas, The Amazing Race, and Survivor; and (sadly) many more.

While the government preaches what I like to call the Couch Potato Movement, I fear we’ll run out of mental fodder to maintain our sanity. For me, Netflix already looks thin and pale. One can only rewatch Stranger Things so many times. With nothing new coming in and countless shows consumed,  perhaps it’s time we find new avenues of entertainment. Former Joliet West student Jenifer Ortiz states, “I have books, but Youtube always an option me.”

Regardless of whether you’re suffering from “show-holes” or not. Stay safe and find something to stave of cabin fever in these trying times.