Athletes should have less homework

Ryan Zavala, Contributing Writer

If you are involved in a sport or extracurricular activity, trying to juggle homework and your activities that you partake in can be pretty demanding. Being an athlete myself, I can tell you first hand that it is tough to get homework done when I get home so late in the day. A big debate among students nationwide is should Athlets Have Homework? I certainly don’t think so.

The first point I would like to address is that most athletes get home much later than regular students. This benefits the regular students because they have much more time to get their homework done while the athletes hardly have any time in season. I get home at 7 on most nights, and by the time I shower, eat, and do my homework/projects, it is already 10 or 11 o’clock at night. When I am in the off-season however, things drastically change. I get home at 4 o’clock most nights and I do my homework on time. After getting my homework done, I usually have about 4 hours left over before I decide to go to sleep. This is the life of a regular student. This is part of the reason that student athletes find themselves ineligible for at least one week of their season. They get swamped with homework that they just cannot complete. It’s not that they don’t put in the effort, but that the teachers don’t put in the time.

The second point I would like to bring into light during this debate is that Athletes come home exhausted and just want to come home and relax. In the process of doing this, they often forget all about homework and go home, take a shower, eat, and rest. I have been guilty of this many times, sometimes in this very class. The point that I am trying to get at here is that homework is often forgotten by student athletes.

It may be true that you don’t have to be a part of the activities you are a part in, but what else are you going to do your four years of high school? Plus, you enjoy what you do and look forward to it every day. It also looks good on a college resume. Who would a school rather take? Someone who does sports and get good grades or someone who just gets good grades and does nothing more.

If you think about it, homework can be traced down as the problem involving ineligibility. Imagine if there were no homework for student-athletes, would there be any casualties? If student athletes need not worry about homework, eligibility would be at an all-time high. This proposed change would benefit both coaches and students nationwide. It would benefit coaches by having a roster full of eligible athletes and the athletes in turn will have more playing time, and would not have to worry about one less responsibility when he/she gets home.

In conclusion, Athletes should not have homework because of all the positives that are involved in the change. If homework were to be eliminated, I feel that the positives outweigh the negative in the end.