Trick-or-Treating: how old is too old?

Abasi Kelley, Staff Writer

Halloween, the perfect day for kids of all ages to roam around their neighborhood in costumes with hopes of collecting massive amounts of candy while saying the iconic phrase, “Trick-or-treat”. The majority of students at Joliet West have memories of their past trick-or-treating experiences when they were young. But as time went by, the students became more mature and tended to abandon their old tendency to dress up and collect candy on Halloween. Could it be that trick-or-treating is a kid’s thing and not a teenage propensity anymore?

Nowadays, teenagers can be seen less roaming the streets in search of sweets on Halloween. That’s because generally, Halloween is viewed as a child only holiday. Children ranging from the ages of infancy to fourteen can normally be spotted trick-or-treating. It is rare to find a person who is fourteen or older ringing people’s doorbells and asking for that king size candy bar sitting inside a huge bowl of goodies. Trick-or-treating is clearly not for teenagers.

Why is it that trick-or-treating is seen as a kid’s only thing and not a teenage tendency? According to various students, there are many reasons for this. “I stopped during middle school because I thought it was childish. Instead, I decided to stop receiving candy and give it to children, “said Connor McGinty, senior. “I stopped trick-or-treating when I was twelve because I felt that I had outgrown it by that age. It became boring and repetitive,” said Melissa Aharrah, senior. “I quit trick-or-treating when I was twelve because I felt that it was immature and I couldn’t deal with it anymore,” said Alex Dolak, junior.

It seems that trick-or-treating amongst teenage students is on a decline. Students quit the fad due to its boringness, becoming more mature, and because they just can’t cope with it anymore. This comes to show that trick-or-treating is not a teenage thing, but more of a sweet paradise for children.