Three students athletes commit to collegiate teams

Girls soccer coach Mr. Stewart watches Joslyn Prosek sign her letter of intent to play for Jacksonville University. Photo courtesy of JTHS 204 on Flickr.

Haley Maser, Editor-in-Chief

On November 10, the fall National Signing Day took place at Joliet West High School. This day is for student-athletes to sign letters of intent to continue playing their sport at the collegiate level. Three Joliet West students were celebrated at the event. 

On the NCAA Signing Day, students committing to Division I or Division II institutions were recognized. Joliet West’s athletic director Mr. Millsaps explains, “In order for students to play their sport at the collegiate level, they need to have a strong dedication and work ethic toward their sport, a high level of competitiveness and drive, but most of all, a love for their sport and being part of a team.” 

Honored at the event were seniors Willow Mueller (USF/Volleyball), Joslyn Prosek (Jacksonville University/Soccer), and Grace Walsh (Air Force/Basketball). 

“I was honestly kinda nervous,” explained Joslyn Prosek on committing to Jacksonville University. “My dad always likes to make sure that I am not indecisive with any big decisions, and not regret it, so before I signed he was always asking are you sure. I’m the type of person to overthink usually, but when I went on the visit I just knew. I met the team, saw their atmosphere, and it felt like I was at a place I can call home.” 

The decisions to play at the collegiate level was not to be taken lightly by these athletes. “I still think about what if I didn’t. Only because who wouldn’t,” continued Prosek. “But I’m really excited, and I think it’s time for me to see something new, which is why I picked to go a bit farther.”

The students will go on to represent Joliet West at their future colleges. “It is great to see our athletes get the ability to compete at the next level,” continues Mr. Millsaps. “I am extremely proud of all our college signees.”