Miss October: Nicole Ochs

Nicole Ochs is a varsity volleyball player.

Stefani Unzueta, Views Editor

Nicole Ochs is a varsity volleyball player who has been chosen to be Miss October. She exudes impeccable student athlete behavior. She displays sportsmanship and keeps an incredible academic record. Ochs, just like many others, is a great example of how sports can positively impact a student’s life.             Ochs began playing volleyball in the fourth grade, and ever since she has been in love with it. She says, “I started playing volleyball because when I was younger I always had an interest in the sport.” From a childhood curiosity, then a high school commitment, and to something she will take on with her for the rest of her life.             Nicole loves her team. For the past 4 years she has grown with them as much as they have grown with her. She has spent countless seasons, days, and hours with them. And within those days of long practices, a bond was built between all of them that Ochs will never forget. Nicole says, “Your team is your family and that’s how I see all of my teammates.”             Although Ochs does not plan on playing volleyball in college, she believes her sport has taught her some of life’s most important values. Ochs says, “I have learned about leadership, commitment, time management, discipline, and most importantly, I’ve learned how to by a good teammate.” But according to Nicole she has also learned how to succeed in life, she mentions an important quote that has been with her all four years, “‘why fail when success is an option?’”