Longest running government shutdown: What you should know

Aileen Carranza, Editor-In-Chief

The United States government shutdown began December 22, 2018 and ended January 25, 2019. Resulting in a 35 day shutdown, making it the longest in U.S. history. A government shutdown occurs when Congress fails to pass, or the president fails to sign appropriations. According to The Guardian, President Donald Trump announced that he would ‘declare national emergency over immigration’ to allow him to build a wall on the border between the U.S and Mexico. With recent events such as the migrant caravan with over 7,000 Honduran immigrants and growing tensions over who’s paying for wall and now the government shutdown, many people are under the impression that money can be received without congressional approval.

There were over 7,000 Honduran immigrants on their way to the U.S. Many of the immigrants were seeking refuge from the ongoing violence in Honduras. This includes men, women, and many children. Government officials have made it clear that they will not grant them asylum. Currently the caravan has settled in Tijuana, but according to the Daily Mail, the mayor of Tijuana has announced that they wont be able to provide for the immigrants much longer. In connection to the recent government shutdown, Trump had made many comments prior to the shutdown about the dangers that could come with the immigrants as well and making sure they stay out. In response to the migrant caravan, Joliet West freshman, Lilianna Carranza says, “I love that the caravan has brought awareness about the violence in Honduras, but one thing I do not condone is the children that are being put at risk.

Many are oblivious to the victims of the shutdown. Federal job workers are currently working with no pay. This includes ‘Homeland Security, Justice, State and Treasury, and several agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency and NASA’ according to The New York Times. To be more descriptive, these agencies include airport security, museums, science and research, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Veterans Affairs, and many more. Many of these workers have chosen not to work causing there to be a need for more workers. Companies have offered paid vacations in the future to those who continue to work during this tough time. Unfortunately, fear is beginning to grow among the workers as many of them do not have enough money to provide for their families and themselves. According to NBC, people have begun to open food pantries for workers working without pay.

It costs approximately $5.6b for congress to pass the bill to build Trump’s wall. Many Americans think that money could go to other things such as education, others believe this is the safest and most necessary route to protect the country from incoming violence such as drug cartels, even though a majority of the illegal drugs entering the U.S is through legal ports. The low funding towards the FBI and Homeland Security has shown that this will increase the crime rates. The government shutdown ended on january 25, 2019, Trump has announced that the shutdown has ended only temporarly. If Trump still doesn’t get any money from Congress, the governemnt will shutdown again on February 15.