Be proactive, not reactive

Aileen Carranza, Editor-in-Chief

Suicide is the second leading cause of death amongst 12-24-year olds, according to the Hope for the Day Organization. Many people find it difficult to talk about suicide, but it’s something that must be brought into more conversations.

September and October are very important months that are meant to shed light on tough yet important subjects. September was National Suicide Prevention Month and October is National Bullying Prevention Month.

September is used to educate the public of the warning signs that someone may be considering suicide, as well as spread helpful resources to others.

Communities come together to help those struggling with mental illness and remember individuals who have been a victim to suicide. October is meant for Bullying Prevention. The month campaigns to unite communities and educate on preventing bullying as well as what to do if you or someone you know is being bullied.

Joliet West offers many resources to inform and aid their students. Just recently, there was a presentation in the auditorium for the many emotional support groups offered to students. Their purpose is to allow student to get help and interact with other students going through similar situations. Students can also seek assistance from their guidance counselors, social workers, and the psychologist at any time of the school day.

It is important to reach out to others and bring awareness and help. It is significant to start the conversation without being scared and reach out to get help or give it.

Suicide Hotline : 1-800-273-8255