Journey to France

Breeana Meadows, Staff Writer

One exceptional JWHS student was given the opportunity to live out her dreams, all while taking an education step towards her future. Melissa Aharrah, now a senior, embarked on a once-in-a-lifetime journey to the one of the world’s most popular destinations: Paris, France. Paris is also known as the city of love, and a city where unforgettable memories are made.

Aharrah’s interest in the trip started when she was a sophomore. While surfing the web, she found an advertisement that offered a chance to study in Paris. Since this had always been one of her dreams, she jumped on the opportunity. Although she was worried about the financial aspect of the trip, her family sought out a way to afford it so that Aharrah could enjoy a life-changing experience during high school.

Departing July 5, 2014, she flew across the country alone. She was extremely eager to see what France had in store. While in France, she studied at the University of Sorbonne in Paris and earned college credits towards French. She was also able to take advantage of France’s amenities. Once the trip ended, Aharrah was left with amazing memories and pictures to share.

When she arrived

home a month later, on August 6, 2014, she was eager to start school in order to show her French class teacher her new and improved French skills. Melissa states, “Although I am no longer in Europe, I find that since I was lucky enough to go to [France] and expand my speaking abilities, that I learned more about French and myself than ever before.”

Mademoiselle Bratkovich, a Joliet West French teacher, commented, “Melissa is a wonderful, highly achievable student who acquires knowledge by herself because of the love for the language.” Aharrah’s remarkable trip has benefited her greatly and has inspired many within the community