10 movies to stream while quarantined

IMDb

Posters for the films Bombshell, Knives Out, and Booksmart. All three movies were released in 2019 and are now available to stream. Photos courtesy of IMDb.

Haley Maser, Views Editor

Booksmart (2019)

Booksmart is a modern take on the teen coming of age genre. Starring Kaitlyn Denver and Beanie Feldstein, the film focuses on two girls about to graduate high school who worry that their heavy focus on being perfect students caused them to miss out on important memories. To make up for lost time, the girls try to attend the last party of the year and end up consolidating four years of fun into one chaotic night. In addition to comedy, the movie’s heart and insight give a fresh perspective to overdone cliches that high school students can genuinely relate to. Booksmart is available to stream on Hulu with a subscription.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

The Oscar-nominated film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is available to rent on streaming services such as Amazon Prime and Vudu. Quentin Tarantino’s ninth film follows the story of actor Rick Dalton, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, and his stunt man, played by Brad Pitt, as they struggle to find work in 1960s Hollywood. Margot Robbie also stars as Sharon Tate, as the Manson family murders are also explored throughout the film. The movie tackles both the old age film industry and the gritty violence of the Manson cult to interest a wide variety of viewers.

Bombshell (2019)

Available to rent on Vudu starting at $5.99, Bombshell is a great movie for viewers interested in films based on real events. Set amid the 2016 presidential election, the Oscar-winning movie tells the story of female Fox News anchors who brought down Roger Ailes, the creator of the media empire and its toxic environment. The film uses a blend of real people and fictional characters to convey the escalating tensions and complex situations behind the notorious headlines. With an all-star cast, including Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, and Margot Robbie, and critically acclaimed makeup and hairstyling, Bombshell captivates its audience and makes viewers want to know more about the lawsuit that shined a light on sexism within broadcast news.

A Quiet Place (2018)

Despite the release of the sequel being postponed because of the current pandemic, A Quiet Place can be streamed on Hulu. The movie follows a family struggling to stay alive after the world is overrun with unknown monsters that hunt using sound. Starring John Krasinski and Emily Blunt, the film uniquely uses sound to create tension and keep viewers on the edge of their seats. Although classified as a horror movie, A Quiet Place is great for more easily-frightened audiences, as the film uses suspense over jump scares.

La La Land (2016)

For viewers dreaming of spending a sunny day on the beach, La La Land is available to rent on Amazon Video for only $2.99. This best picture nominated musical takes place in Los Angeles and has a bright, modern take on the old Hollywood aesthetic. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling star as an aspiring actress and jazz musician who struggle to fulfill their dreams. Emotional conflicts and energized musical numbers tell a beautiful story of the sacrifices that must be made to balance love and success.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)

A classic comedy directed by John Hughes, the filmmaker behind many of the iconic teen movies of the 80s,  Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is a standout film in Netflix’s catalog. The movie follows Ferris Bueller as he ropes his best friend and girlfriend into a day-long adventure, all while dodging the principal set on catching Bueller for ditching school. The movie is mainly set on a sunny day in Chicago and is perfect for Joliet West students dreaming of their next trip into the city.

Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey (2020)

Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey (previously titled Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) just premiered in theaters in February, but is available to rent as part of Vudu’s Theater at Home collection. Perfect for fans of DC Comics, the movie centers on Harley Quinn’s life without the Joker. The infamous Batman villain forms a powerful group of anti-heroes after becoming the target of Gotham’s newest crime boss. 

Knives Out (2019)

Knives Out is a whodunit comedy available to rent for $5.99 on Vudu. After a famous mystery author is found dead in his mansion, a renowned detective, played by Daniel Craig, is hired to discover the truth behind the apparent suicide, in which the entire family is a suspect. Knives Out has something for everyone. Comedy, mystery, and crime are all used to unravel the cleverly written modern mystery.

I, Tonya (2017)

I, Tonya is a film based on the real events of figure skater Tonya Harding’s life and the crime that ruined her career. The movie stars Margot Robbie who received an Academy Award nomination for her portrayal of the infamous athlete and has an R rating, which gives this film the ability to tell the dark and occasionally humorous details of the story. This movie is great for viewers who enjoy true stories and award-winning performances and is available to stream on Hulu.

Captain Marvel (2019)

For avid superhero fans, many Marvel movies are available to stream for free with a paid Disney Plus or Netflix subscription. Captain Marvel is a great option for viewers who may not have seen previous Marvel movies and only want to jump into a stand-alone movie. Starring Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, and Jude Law, the film takes place in 1995 where Carol Danvers, a warrior from another planet, finds herself on Earth having visions of an alternate life as an Air Force pilot. The film has humor, action, and heartwarming moments that make it great, lighthearted entertainment for viewers taking part in social distancing.