International Films on Netflix

Daniela Jimenez, Editor-in-Chief

For the first time in cinematic history, an International film, Parasite, won the Oscar for Best Motion Picture. This has now caused many to realize the value of such films. It’s no surprise that Netflix has a wide range of options as to what you can watch during the quarantine. What is surprising is the number of foreign films they are streaming. Most of which no one knows about but they’re definitely worth a peek. Watching foreign movies resembles traveling in many aspects: you get to see new cities and surroundings, hear new languages or accents, and be exposed to new ideas, issues, and ways of thinking. So step outside your comfort zone and check out some of the suggested films below. 

Miracle on Cell No. 7: Is originally a Korean film that was adapted into Turkish. This movie was released in 2019  and takes place in Germany. The story revolves around a man who is wrongfully accused of the murder of a little girl. He must prove his innocence if he wants to return to his daughter and escape the death penalty he was given. 

First they killed my father: This is a critically acclaimed film released in 2017 and directed by Angelina Jolie. This is a Cambodian film centered around a 5-year-old girl’s quest for survival during the reign of the Khmer Rouge. The film shows kids being trained for war. 

Train To Busan: This film was released in 2016 and is a Korean zombie movie. The story follows a man with his daughter trapped in a train hoping their destination to Busan is safe. This movie has a different feel to American zombie movies. There will be a sequel out this year.

Yucatan:  This is a Spanish comedy released in 2018. The film follows two con artists who compete to attempt to swindle a man who won the lottery. This all takes place on a cruise ship from Spain to Mexico.

Elité: Is Spanish Netflix series that was released in 2017. This series has 3 seasons out and has a very creative way of storytelling. The overall synopsis of the series is three working-class teens earn a scholarship to attend an exclusive private. The three teens class with the wealthy and leads to the murder of one of them. 

Casa De Papel (Money Heist):  Money Heist is a Spanish series released in 2017 with 4 seasons. The whole series is about eight thieves carrying out a heist led by a mastermind who controls the police on the outside in order to succeed. The eight thieves lock themselves inside the Royal Mint of Spain; they have to make sure everything goes according to plan if they want to achieve their goal.

Dark:  Dark is a German series that was released in 2017 with 2 seasons. When one child goes missing in a small town in Germany it opens up a three-generation mystery. This has been pinned as a darker version of Stranger Things. 

Itaewon Class:  Itaewon Class is a South Korean series released this year. The story-line follows a teenager who’s life turns upside down after getting expelled from school for punching one of his classmates for bullying another student.