Balancing Diversity in the Entertainment Industry

Balancing Diversity in the Entertainment Industry, Entertainment Editor

A newly released study suggests diversity in TV and film is unbalanced. Because of this, the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite was created, which turned into #HollywoodSoWhite.

To address this issue, the entertainment industry is making more of an effort to close this gap. TV is now filled with new and returning black-led series, many of which are also helmed by black showrunners. In the last few years we saw the arrival of new shows including Atlanta, Insecure, Queen Sugar, Chewing Gum, and Luke Cage, and the return of others, such as Being Mary Jane, Black-ish, Scandal, How to Get Away With Murder, Empire, and Power. In honor of Black History Month, This article acknowledges current shows that feature a black cast.

Black-ish ~ Dre Johnson and his wife Rainbow have a seemingly perfect life with four unique children, a big and beautiful house in a nice neighborhood, and jobs they actually don’t hate- but Dre wonders if the privilege that his success has afforded his children has distanced them from their roots and culture

Dear White People ~ Based on the film of the same name, this Netflix original television series follows a group of black students attending school at a predominantly white Ivy League college. It focuses on political and social issues through a cynical, brutally honest lens and tackles topics of race, bigotry, and bias that most shy away from.

Insecure ~ Comedy series following best friends Issa and Molly are the polar oppositeof the modern-day deception of the strong, confident black women. Their insecurities and actual flaws cause a variety of trouble and uncomfortable situations for them

Luke Cage ~ Drama following the evolution of Luke Cage, a man who developed super strength and unbreakable skin after an experiment was sabotaged. After a failed relationship with fellow superhero Jessica Jones, he tries to rebuild a new quieter life in Harlem, NY, but ends up being pulled out of the shadows and back into vigilantism.

On My Block ~ Coming of age comedy-drama following four bright, intelligent teenagers living in a predominantly Latino and black neighborhood in South Central LA. Ruby, Jamal, Monse, and Ceaser have been friends for as long as they can remember, but their bonds are tested as they deal with the new struggles growing up provides

Queen Sugar ~Depicts the life of the estranged Bordelon siblings. Nova is a formidable journalist/activist from New Orleans. Charley is a wife and mother who leaves her upscale home in LA and moves to Lousiana to claim an inheritance from her recently passed father. Their brother Ralph is a single father struggling with unemployment

She’s Gotta Have It ~Based off of the film of the same name, “She’s gotta have it” follows Brooklyn-based artist Nola Darling as she tries to follow her dreams while dividing her time between her friends, family, and three lovers. The trio includes married businessman and father Jamie, photographer Greer, and Michael Jordan fan Mars.

Chewing Gum ~ A popular Netflix series about Tracy Gordon who is a extremely religious, Beyonce obsessed 24-year-old virgin who had decided to tackle the next step in her life and have sex with her fiance.

Shows like these are all due to results collected from a study, titled “Inclusion or Invisibility? A Comprehensive Annenberg Report on Diversity in Entertainment”. You can expect more diversity to be the focus of a lot more shows now that this issue is finally being addressed.