13 Reasons Why vs. Euphoria

Jordyn Bew, Entertainment Editor

Netflix has recently released the third season of 13 Reasons Why, which came a few weeks after HBO finished its first season of Euphoria. Both shows are highly controversial and both shows hit on similar themes.
13 Reasons Why is about a girl named Hannah Baker, who commits suicide and then shares casette tapes explaining the 13 reasons why she took her life. All of that madness occurs in season 1. Season 2 dives into the tough issues that high school students continue to face after Hannah is gone, along with a lawsuit against the school for not recognizing and addressing issues issues that led to Hannah’s death, such as bullying. The series shows teens dealing with issues like depression,anxiety, bullying, and rape.
Euphoria follows a group of highschool students as they navigate love and friendships in a world of drugs, sex, trauma, and social media. The series explores many similar themes. The first season is about teens dealing with drugs,family issues, bullying, sexual identity pressures. Depression, anxiety, and more
Euphoria is more explicit than 13 Reasons Why, in the fact that it shows full-frontal male nudity on multiple occasions. But 13 Reasons Why showed a horrific rape scene and a suicide scene that was so intense, it was removed from Netflix later due to the uproar against it. Euphoria is till more explicit than 13 Reasons Why, but both shows are intense.
Euphoria and 13 Reasons Why have many similarities, but the two series are different enough that they are both worth watching.